- This event has passed.
“Local and Intercommunal Conflict Resolution and Mediation” Virtual training course
June 1, 2021 - June 4, 2021
Virtual training course
“LOCAL AND INTERCOMMUNAL CONFLICT RESOLUTION AND MEDIATION”
1st – 4th June 2021
Aim of the course: To train civil affairs, political affairs and other officers serving in peacekeeping operations, political and peacebuilding missions by enhancing their specific knowledge and skills, and enabling them to develop a deeper understanding of ways to prevent, mitigate and resolve local and intercommunal conflicts.
Learning Objectives –
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and understand various local and intercommunal conflict resolution mechanisms;
- Apply acquired skills in local and intercommunal conflict analysis, conflict monitoring and stakeholders mapping by using relevant tools and techniques;
- Better understand drivers, actors and dynamics of local and intercommunal conflict, and identify historic, structural and proximate causes of conflict;
- Apply a range of skills, techniques and good practices in negotiation, dialogue, facilitation and mediation;
- Develop mediation strategies and inclusive mediation processes and use various modalities for greater inclusion and meaningful participation of women;
- Understand and apply concepts of BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement) and ZOPA (Zone of Possible Agreement);
- Design, facilitate and run mediation processes;
- Deal with moral and legal dilemmas which may arise in conflict resolution andmediation.
The course will address local (community) conflicts. This is a new aspect in UN peacekeeping practices, and some UN operations are assigned a specific mandate from the Security Council to support mediation of such conflicts. The course is balanced between the operational and tactical level, and most of the conflict management tools are catered to the tactical level field work.
The course program is designed for mid and senior level civil affairs, political affairs and other officers serving in various units and offices, such as Protection of civilians, Rule of Law, Disarmament, demobilization and reintegration, Security sector reform, Human Rights, Joint mission analysis center, Joint operations center, Military and Police components, within field and peacekeeping operations (UN, AU, EU, OSCE etc.), as well as those working in governments, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, or preparing to serve in peace operations.
The course will be conducted virtually via Zoom software. The training will consist of lectures and facilitated discussions by senior experts and practitioners in the field, and the activities are devised to be highly interactive through discussions, Q&A sessions, group work, role-play and hands-on exercises and assignments. A virtual space will be provided for group discussions and best practices, and for experience sharing among the participants under the guidance of the senior mentors.
DOWNLOAD the course program and more details about the course here
The courses will be conducted virtually via the Zoom software.
The fee for the “Local and Intercommunal Conflict Resolution and Mediation” course is 900 EUR (1,100 USD).
Conflux Center is organizing a complemental course “Gender Mainstreaming in Mediation” from 14th – 15th June 2021.
The fee for the “Gender mainstreaming in mediation” course is 450 EUR (550 USD).
The fee for both courses is 1,150 EUR (1,400 USD)
Conflux Center alumni are eligible for 20% discount.
Partial subsidy could be available at a later stage. Those interested in a partial subsidy should send their CV and a motivation letter not later than 21st May 2021 to email@example.com.
The specified times are in accordance with CEST (Central European Summer Time) / UTC+2 (Coordinated Universal Time) time zone.
The participants should be relieved of their regular work duties for the duration of the course.
The course is conducted in English and translation is not provided.
Upon completion of the course, certificates of participation will be issued in PDF, and a hard copy can be sent via post upon request.
For further information about the course, please contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or +381 65 3081976
Registration is open until 30th May 2021 and can be done here: