- This event has passed.
Virtual Training Course For Political Advisers “How To Manage The Political Dimension In Conflict Resolution & Peacekeeping“
October 10, 2022 - October 14, 2022
Virtual training course for Political Advisers
“HOW TO MANAGE THE POLITICAL DIMENSION IN CONFLICT RESOLUTION & PEACEKEEPING“
10th -14th October 2022
The objective of the course is to train political advisers serving in peacekeeping operations, political and peacebuilding missions by enhancing their specific knowledge and skills, and enabling them to develop a deeper understanding of ways to manage the political dimension in a conflict or post-conflict environment.
The course will cover two complementary aspects – operational activities in conflict prevention, management and resolution (mediation, facilitation, negotiation, provision of advice, building rapport and network management, internal and external coordination and cooperation, engaging non-state armed groups and unarmed actors…), as well as conventional diplomatic activities (political reporting, speech writing, public speaking, designing political strategy, liaison with governments…).
Particular attention will be paid to bringing the aspect of culture into political analysis, strategies and activities, with a view to enhancing the necessary skills to establish and maintain an effective intercultural and interreligious dialogue.
Special focus will be placed on the influence of information and communication technologies on the scope of work of political advisors, including opportunities and risks (cyber diplomacy, conflict analysis, use of social media, cyber security…).
The course will also address the role and required skills of political advisors related to public diplomacy, communications with the media, as well as information and reputation management.
Learning Objectives –
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply acquired skills and tools in research, conflict analysis and policy planning;
- Design political strategies to build alliances and create political leverage;
- Monitor, analyze and interpret political developments and events by using relevant skills and techniques;
- Use specific skills to build rapport, create and maintain network of contacts and liaise and coordinate with internal and external counterparts;
- Apply a range of skills, techniques and good practices in political dialogue, negotiation, facilitation and mediation, and use various modalities for greater inclusion of women;
- Identify risks and opportunities of information and communication technologies;
- Apply public speaking, presentation, speechwriting, and reporting techniques, – including preparation, structure, and delivery;
- Provide pertinent advice, offer new ideas and innovative solutions to change the underlying conflict dynamics;
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses as political advisers;
- Deal with moral, legal and political dilemmas which may arise in conflict management and resolution.
The course program is designed for mid and senior level political advisors and political affairs officers working in international organizations headquarters and field operations (UN, AU, OSCE, etc.), as well as diplomats, and those working in governments, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, or preparing to serve in peace operations and in diplomatic service.
The participants will learn from senior experts and practitioners in the field, and the activities are devised to be highly interactive through discussions, Q&A sessions, group work, role-play and hands-on exercises and assignments.
The courses will be conducted virtually via the Zoom software.
Course fees: 1,000 EUR (1,250 USD)
Conflux Center alumni are eligible for 20% discount.
Partial subsidy could be available at a later stage. Those interested in a partial subsidy should send their CV and a motivation letter not later than 16th September 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Course Program can be downloaded HERE
Registration is open until 7th October 2022 and can be done HERE
The specified times are in accordance with CEST (Central European Summer Time) / UTC+2 (Coordinated Universal Time) time zone.
The participants should be relieved of their regular work duties for the duration of the course.
The course is conducted in English and translation is not provided.
Upon completion of the course, certificates of participation will be issued in PDF, and a hard copy can be sent via post upon request.
For further information about the course, please contact us at:
email@example.com or + 381 63 13 08 997